From Lars Corneliussen ...@lcorneliussen.de>
Subject NPanday Addin for Non-English Visual Studio
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 18:32:39 GMT
Hi Christoph, (und Hallo auch nochmal auf Deutsch),

I have started to implement support for German installations. We already
did some work in NPanday 1.2 supporting "Dokumente und Einstellungen"
instead of "Users" :) (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NPANDAY-222)

The simple way would certainly be to "or" all the language names, but it
would not be the clean way to do it. I think we have two options.

  1) Easy, but still clean: Use .NET Localization for customized
Menu-item names
  2) Better, but quite hard: Move from "Addin" to "Integration package",
which will enable language-agnostic communication with Visual Studio via
cmd-ids.
(http://nayyeri.net/visual-studio-addin-vs-integration-package-part-5)

More on option 1)

Last spring I started to fix the issues for 1.2, but I didn't manage to
finish them. The code is still on github.

We/You :-) had to do two things:

a) Enable support for sattelite assemblies
  - Generate a list of all cultures into npanday-settings.xml
(npanday.plugin:NPanday.Plugin.Settings.JavaBinding:generate-settings)
  - Do not link *.[culturecode].resources into the main assembly
(npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin:compile)
  - Create a satelite assembly for each of the culture-codes and attach
it to the artifact
(npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin:compile-satelite-assemblies)
b) Refactor the addin to use Resources instead of fixed strings. It
would also be good, to move to command pattern for the commands. I
started the work here. Some time ago I rebased it to the current code
base - but I didn't test it.

Compare with SVN:
http://lcorneliussen.de/utils/git-svn/github.com/lcorneliussen/npanday/commits/v2.0-GermanAddIn
Github: https://github.com/lcorneliussen/npanday/tree/v2.0-GermanAddIn

Related issues:
  - NPANDAY-254: Support for localized Satelite Assemblies
(Globalization, Multi-language)
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NPANDAY-254)
  - NPANDAY-228: VS Addin only works for English installations
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NPANDAY-228)

Related discussions
  - Italian/Spanish VS-Addin translation contribution
(http://npanday.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=46288)
  - Installation problem on Visual Studio 2005/2008
(http://npanday.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=46039)

-Lars
NPanday Committer

Am 03.02.11 00:34, schrieb Josimpson Ocaba:
> ----- "Christoph Karner"<lechris48@yahoo.de>  wrote:
>
>>> --
>>> Joe Ocaba

>> seem
>> directory

>>> thanks for taking the time in testing out 1.3 Chris. Unfortunately
>> at the
>>> moment NPanday only supports Visual Studios English Version, there
>> are already
>>> issues created for German support as well as Italian and Spanish. We
>> do not have
>>> enough contributors that know the language. We would gladly accept
>> patches for
>>> this so that NPanday can work on other languages as well.
>>>

>> thanks for your help!
>>
>> i thought it would be something like that, did not find any issues
>> though.
>> what would i have to do to add german language support myself?
>
> You would need to build the source code and in \dotnet\assemblies\NPanday.VisualStudio.Addin\Connect.cs
you need to modify launchNPandayBuildSystem function there is a loop that checks for the specific
Control Caption in the running VS