From "Shane Isbell" <shane.isb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: platform independence for the build
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:19:01 GMT
I agree on all the points. Can you post a bug about what is breaking? I
added:
        DotnetCompilerContextImpl.turnOffAssemblyExistsCheck();
        DotnetCompilerContextImpl.turnOffCompilerExistsCheck();
That should have turned off any specific checks within the unit test that
would fail the compiler context initialization. It looks as though I missed
a check somewhere.

More comments in line

Thanks,
Shane

On Dec 16, 2007 12:47 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Given we have a fresh start - is it a reasonable expectation to be
> able to build the entire package on any platform (including my Mac
> with no .Net software install whatsoever)?
>
> What I'm thinking of here:
> * unit tests don't touch the .net/mono installation(s)
> * maven-like integration test setup that can be executed for a single
> nmaven version against a set of installed target platforms

This was the original motivation for the nmaven-settings file. It allowed
changing the platform configuration to replace vendors, vendor versions and
framework versions. I think that the general nmaven-settings file concept is
the right approach for integration testing, it should just be used for
integration tests and should be non-obstrusive. This will likely require
adding some component extensions that will allow modifying of the working
directory of executables. This approach would avoid having to bring in all
the capability matching components to support it.