From "Shane Isbell" <shane.isb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merging New Work into Trunk
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 04:43:55 GMT
On Dec 12, 2007 3:45 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13/12/2007, at 4:19 AM, Shane Isbell wrote:
>
> > For the resolution, we are going to need to add in artifact handlers
> > (most
> > likely programmatically, unless this has been fixed within the latest
> > version of Maven). This is straight forward.
>
> Can you explain? You want these added without having to declare the
> plugin in the POM?

The artifact handlers should be declared in the components.xml file; but for
some reason, Maven doesn't add these. We can do this programmatically.

> > We will also need to recompile the NUnit source to have its version
> > in the
> > filename. I think we can wait for NUnit support until version 0.15.
>
> This could be a deal breaker if every single .NET dep going into the
> repo has to be re-compiled. Why is this the case? Is it so an
> unmodified local repository can be used as an execution environment?

This goes to the heart of the versionless filenames.The filename in the
local repository needs to match the filename that was used during
compile. When I first approached the problem last year, I
thought recompiling dependent projects would be a major problem so I removed
versions in the filename; but writing layers of code and rewriting plugins
turned out to be overly complicated and created a divergence of code. My
feeling on this is that this is no longer something that NMaven should be
doing, that this support needs to occur within Maven itself, if it is to be
done.

Having versions in some files and not in others would require additional
meta-data (of inspection of existing meta-data within the assembly itself)
to support it. And then we are left with even more code.

Shane