From Dan Fabulich <...@fabulich.com>
Subject Re: Creating IT Tests
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:37:22 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

> The core-integration-testing module for the Maven system tests works well and
> under the current structure that might be the best way to go. I think Dan has
> replicated such an environment for plugin testing which sounds perfect -
> though I have to admit I haven't looked at the surefire tests just yet to see
> how that works.

My integration tests are basically just a copy of the
core-integration-testing tests, which basically just use maven-verifier to
launch instances of Maven and assert on the results.  There's a Wiki
article on them here:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Creating+a+Maven+Integration+Test

Note that you should ignore the bit about using the archetype and using
archetypeNG... the wiki says so, but the remark is small and easily
overlooked.

Finally, in all honesty, I must point out that it is controversial whether
the is the best on the market.  (Though, IMO, it is.)

Certainly there are plenty of other integration testing frameworks out
there right now that people have advocated for, including
maven-invoker-plugin, maven-plugin-testing-harness, shitty-maven-plugin
and probably at least one more I'm forgetting.  There's a couple of
threads on this very topic running on maven-dev.

-Dan