From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merging New Work into Trunk
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2007 05:20:05 GMT
On 12/12/2007, at 3:36 PM, Shane Isbell wrote:

> The current work in the branch only supports compiling and
> installing of C#
> projects for Mono and Microsoft. There are no versionless file
> names, so
> many of the existing maven plugins should work. All other plugins
> are gone,
> no resource generation, no nmaven settings, no private assembly bin,
> no
> Visual Studio addin, no RDF. The idea is to get a version into the
> trunk
> that is in line with Maven and then start adding back in the
> functionality
> that we need. Given that we have the current trunk to mine from, we
> should
> be able to go at a good pace, with frequent releases.

Yep - I think I caught all that. As you know from our chat on IM
yesterday (and probably my nagging all year :), I'm definitely in
favour of making releases already and of getting things using what
Maven already provides. This is the right approach.

I understand that there are less plugins and features (and I'm very
glad to see the majority of the above go). What I was really asking is
what the migration path will be.

The following are the things I want to see continue to work:
- artifacts deployed with NMaven 0.14 should be usable by the new code
(this should be a no brainer, as it uses the current deploy plugin
already)
- POMs for projects for NMaven 0.14 should continue working when these
other releases go out. To that end, I suggest using a new group ID
where there is an incompatible replacement plugin.

Does this make sense?

- Brett