From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Version range support
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:48:33 GMT

On 18 Dec 07, at 6:00 PM 18 Dec 07, Evan Worley wrote:

> Do you envision range support working better in the future with the
> addition
> of conflict resolvers (he says thinking of a talk you did on Maven
> 2.1)?

Yes, I think Kenney's code, plus Mark's + Oleg's work on the conflict
resolution, and my and Oleg's work on the artifact resolution and
things will be pretty good.

> On Dec 18, 2007 3:01 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:
>

>> On 18 Dec 07, at 2:49 PM 18 Dec 07, Shane Isbell wrote:
>>
>>> The trunk is using all of the standard Maven plumbing for resolving
>>> dependencies, so version ranges are supported.
>>>

>> Only that the version range support is truly broken unfortunately.
>> The
>> code that Kenney has created in his proposal should be integrated
>> into
>> Maven proper. Ranges don't work in practice anywhere I have tried
>> them. They are just unreliable. Brian Fox also has a lot of ideas as
>> he's run into many problem with the dependency plugin trying to
>> incorporate ranges. He just sub-classed some code to fix some issues.
>>
>>> Shane

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>
>> People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
>> Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
>> actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
>> is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
>> looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
>> examples
>> you look at, the more general your framework will be.
>>
>> -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

-- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition