From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: platform independence for the build
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:32:38 GMT

On 17/12/2007, at 8:19 AM, Shane Isbell wrote:

> I agree on all the points. Can you post a bug about what is breaking?

Will do.

> This was the original motivation for the nmaven-settings file. It
> allowed
> changing the platform configuration to replace vendors, vendor
> versions and
> framework versions. I think that the general nmaven-settings file
> concept is
> the right approach for integration testing, it should just be used for
> integration tests and should be non-obstrusive. This will likely
> require
> adding some component extensions that will allow modifying of the
> working
> directory of executables. This approach would avoid having to bring
> in all
> the capability matching components to support it.

At this stage I would be happy with the integration tests just running
under whatever the current execution environment is, like the normal
NMaven execution would do. This is basically what the Maven ones do
for now, based on the version of Maven in the path. You then switched
your execution environment and re-run the test suite. Some tests are
excluded on environments they are not suitable for. The integration
test tools that are used for Maven should be able to be re-used in
NMaven.

Beyond that, I would just use whatever the toolchain capabilities are
in Maven at the time to go towards the next step rather than adding
anything specific for it in either NMaven or the integration tests.

Is that in line with what you were thinking?

- Brett