From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Version range support
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:01:16 GMT

On 18 Dec 07, at 2:49 PM 18 Dec 07, Shane Isbell wrote:

> The trunk is using all of the standard Maven plumbing for resolving
> dependencies, so version ranges are supported.

Only that the version range support is truly broken unfortunately. The
code that Kenney has created in his proposal should be integrated into
Maven proper. Ranges don't work in practice anywhere I have tried
them. They are just unreliable. Brian Fox also has a lot of ideas as
he's run into many problem with the dependency plugin trying to
incorporate ranges. He just sub-classed some code to fix some issues.

> Shane
>
> On Dec 18, 2007 12:20 PM, Evan Worley <evanworley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does the current snapshot version of NMaven support version ranges in
>> dependencies?  I ask because our "built in-house" NMaven from a few
>> months
>> ago does not.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Evan

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

-- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks