From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Creating IT Tests
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 03:20:47 GMT

On 12 Dec 07, at 7:18 PM 12 Dec 07, Shane Isbell wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007 3:49 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Are you looking to write ITs for the plugins, or the system as a
>> whole? As you can see from the dev@ discussion about the invoker, the
>> testing situation is still a bit of an inconsistent mess.
>

> I was thinking of ITs for the system as a whole.
>

>> The core-integration-testing module for the Maven system tests works
>> well and under the current structure that might be the best way to
>> go.
>> I think Dan has replicated such an environment for plugin testing
>> which sounds perfect - though I have to admit I haven't looked at the
>> surefire tests just yet to see how that works.
>>
>> This actually brings me to a bigger question though - in Maven we
>> realised early on that each plugin would need to be decoupled from
>> the
>> core release cycle. NMaven is still in the stage where all the
>> plugins
>> are in sync with the larger system - is that expected to continue, or
>> is it likely the NMaven core libraries will be one thing released
>> together, and then the plugins folded into /plugins/ ?
>

> I would expect that as long as we remain in the incubator to release
> the
> core and plugins together. When we graduate, decoupling the releases
> makes
> sense, provided that the NMaven core API is stable.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Decoupling too early just makes it hard
to change when you discover you do need to make sweeping changes and
NMaven is still pretty young.

> Shane
>

>> Cheers,
>> Brett
>>
>> On 13/12/2007, at 6:05 AM, Shane Isbell wrote:
>>
>>> On the current NMaven trunk, there are a number of IT tests using
>>> maven-core-it-verifier, most of these are going to be invalid and
>>> need to be
>>> rewritten.
>>>
>>> Under the Maven 2.1 trunk, I see there are a lot of new core
>>> integration
>>> testing plugins. Does anyone on the list have experience on using
>>> these? And
>>> possibly be able to help out by setting up a few tests to get things
>>> started?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shane

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

-- Shakespeare