From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Technical Decisions Regarding NMaven?
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:28:25 GMT

On 14 Nov 07, at 5:51 PM 14 Nov 07, James Carpenter wrote:

> I think it is fair to argue that the current maven requirement to
> have versions in the repository artifact filenames is fundamentally
> deficient.

I think it's the Window's linker that's fundamentally deficient no?.
Any system that will not allow you to look at an artifact and tell
exactly what is immediately is fundamentally deficient.

>  Just as .NET assemblies must maintain the same filename regardless
> of version, there are bound to be other exotic artifacts which have
> the same requirement.

Things work fine in Java, and fine in C.

> I would therefore recommend the DefaultArtifactResolver within maven
> simply be enhanced to make versions in the artifact names optional.

It's controlled with a layout which has already been tried by Dan
Fabulich. It's not a problem with the resolver, it's how it's laid out
in the file system which is controlled by the ...
ArtifactRepositoryLayout. Having both systems running at the same time
would need a change, maybe a layout per language and we might even
want per language local repositories. For the C stuff that's been done
it used the standard layout. Maybe it's just local repository per
layout used.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl