From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Sanity check
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:30:41 GMT
Sander Temme wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2007, at 7:29 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>> We can save a number of methods if we don't register commands which
>>> have no provider.  Especially those mail related commands that nobody
>>> expects to see implemented in today's ftpd servers.  Thoughts?
>>
>> Still looking for feedback... thoughts?
>
> Oh, we definitely don't have to implement the weird edge-case
> mail-related commands.  Let's stick to what FTP clients actually send.
>
> Is it at all possible to bump the maximum number of registered methods
> in trunk? And (not having looked at the code) could we have mod_ftp
> check how many methods it could register and degrade gracefully instead
> of having it run into the brick wall of 62?

Well, that magic number is entirely related to <Limit >, and <Limit >
for a host of reasons is completely bogus.

As I plan to scrap the existing limit code in the very near-term, I'll
be ignoring this hackery and replacing it with a much more sane hash
or list of methods.  We can still use the address of the particular
registered method string as it's hash value, but not a bit offset.
Slightly slower (depending on how many occurrences of a Limit apply
to a particular uri/file path), but not nearly as "limited".

(All pun intended.)

Of course this belongs on dev@httpd, but I'll bring it back up when the
code is ready to propose.

Bill