From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject SYST response from Apache/mod_ftp
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 00:02:17 GMT
SYS today responds

215 UNIX Type
215 Win32 Type

Apparently Type is a header of sorts, most clients expect Type: L8
so we are missing a suffix.  Those same clients grow stupid in the
absence of Type: L8 (which I presume to mean left aligned eight bit
data words.)

http://cr.yp.to/ftp/syst.html

Recommends all servers answer in the generic

215 UNIX Type: L8

And I'm inclined to agree with his logic.

>From the client's perspective, Win32 Type and UNIX Type installs should
appear identical, so I don't see a reason to make this exceptional.  In any
case I'm inclined to believe Type without ": {code}" is a big flaw.

215 UNIX Type: L8 Server: "ApacheVersionString"

would be more ornamental, respecting the user's configured ServerTokens.

So... opinion please...

 [ ] Reduce to 215 UNIX
 [ ] Use 215 UNIX Type: L8
 [ ] Use 215 UNIX Type: L8 Server: "ServerTokens"

Feedback?

Bill