From Sander Temme <san...@temme.net>
Subject mod_ftp documentation migration
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:00:27 GMT
Folks,

I had some time today to work on the mod_ftp documentation. Wrowe
mailed me the documentation archive for Covalent FTP, and I have
started to migrate this prose to mod_ftp and the httpd manual format.

I think the page layout should resemble that of mod_ssl: a page in
the docs/manual/mod directory with the mod_ftp directives, and a
subdirectory docs/manual/ftp that has the background, details,
configuration examples and finer points.

The original documents are all in FrameMaker, in a format that has
some <tags> but also a lot of binary data and is definitely not (SG|X)
ML. I don't have FrameMaker, but a downloaded trial copy was able to
save all sources in XML format, which makes it a lot more legible.
Covalent FTP was a standalone product, so the manual contains a lot
of stuff about installation and AAA that we don't need here at this
level of detail.

Unless someone objects, tomorrow I will commit the PDF of the
original manual, then start pushing prose into a set of source files
that will slide into the httpd docs/manual hierarchy. If I have any
questions about formatting or files, I'll take it up with the httpd-
docs folks. I won't commit the Frame files (why would I?) or the
saved XML files (in case the trial license is finnicky about doing
actually useful stuff). I'm thinking:

docs/manual/mod/mod_ftp.xml -- FTP module directives
docs/manual/ftp/
                /ftpoverview.xml
                /sslfeatures.xml
                /ftpexamples.xml