From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Status of mod_ftp?
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:28:03 GMT
Sander Temme wrote:

> Mr. Rowe, perhaps you can give us some pointers?

I've refactored a ton of extra build cruft from trunk to try to reduce
mod_ftp to the minimum required to build.

The obvious solution was to use apxs to create the makefile or simply
compile the module (and why not? - that's what it's supposed to do.)

The simple example of how-to-build is already in STATUS.  I just updated
it in trunk because we changed the depth from src/ to modules/ftp/.

I also committed the 'generated' resources.  These shouldn't change in
most cases.  Win32 should regenerate them, I hope, but need to test (the
windows generation should undef all these common defined unix facilities.)

Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

>>> We're looking at ways of making use of mod_disk_cache for FTP in
>>> addition to the current HTTP caching for ftp.acc.umu.se and mod_ftp
>>> would be the most elegant solution if it works.
>
> I haven't looked at the code at all, so I really don't know whether
> it'll even have a chance to work. I know that there's another project
> out there called mod_ftpd that uses httpd as some sort of glorified
> inetd and doesn't even touch the httpd filter chain, I'm hoping that
> mod_ftp is a tad more evolved that that :)

Yes.  Although right now each is treated as a subrequest, and I don't
know offhand the mechanics in mod_cache that bypass subrequest elements.

Changing mod_ftp to handle each request as a top-level request would
solve this - of course.

mod_ftp entirely honors the filter chain.

Bill