From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_ftp patch: New directive FTPDirUmask
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:05:29 GMT
Kanagasabai Sriskanthaverl wrote:
> Hi Paul, thx for ur comments.
>
> There is one warning like
> "Some platforms may not be able to apply all of the available permission
> bits; APR_INCOMPLETE will be returned if some permissions are specified
> which could not be set."

That's true of the same platforms which won't set all the permissions using
chmod/fchmod; it's not an apr restriction.  The APR_INCOMPLETE result means
that it could set some (say, the user and/or everyone permissions), but can't
map them all (this platform doesn't have a unix owner/group/world model.)

> the platforms that falls in this category may end up in unpredictable
> behavior.

Of course.  Same platforms where your existing #ifdef would be skipped.

> Further I did not understand, how can I select the appropriate file
> permissions flag on the fly with respect to the mask?. I see calculating
> permission codes easier for chmod.

True.  These are simply hex rather than octal.  Perhaps, read in the user's
setting mask in hex?  We could move to this API in the stor/appe code as well.

Bill