From Brian Wickman <>
Subject Re: Architecture of Tasks vs. Executors
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 23:13:15 GMT
When you launch a task on a slave, you are required to specify an
executor_id in the TaskInfo (or a CommandInfo, which just delegates to the
default "command" executor.)  If that executor already exists, the task
will be launched there (possibly with other outstanding tasks.)  If the
executor doesn't exist, it will be created in order to launch the task.
 This means a single slave can have multiple executors for a particular
framework, so long as they have different executor_ids.  At Twitter, we
used to have one executor per slave, and many tasks per executor.  We
recently switched to having a 1:1 correspondence between executors and
tasks, but now run multiple executors per slave.