From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: send notifications to separate mailing list
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 17:42:41 GMT
Hi Adam,

Actually your feedback is very important and is a common concern at the
on projects that communicate heavily in JIRA and in RB and by external
We've made a requirement that those tools must email the lists b/c all
"happen" on the list, at the same time, using tools sometimes muddies the
as you are seeing.

In the end my recommendation to the Mesos community:

* dev list -- should be emails from time to time consisting of design
discussion, etc. that *is not*
a RB or JIRA email -- discussion and emails should actually happen on this
list. From time to time if
RB and/or JIRA come here that's fine too.
* commits -- automated junk from Git and/or RB and/or JIRA [potentially
with RB and/or JIRA being on a
separate email list like *-issues or something if desired; or not]

On 2/28/13 12:06 PM, "Adam Monsen" <> wrote:

>On 02/28/2013 10:57 AM, Benjamin Hindman wrote:
>> I'm not opposed to the idea, but we do A LOT of communication via JIRA
>> Review Board, and my fear is that relegating these automatically
>> emails to a separate list will cause people to miss the
>> *actual*conversation that's going on. I don't like the idea of having
>> the
>> conversation in too many places, e.g., on the mailing list, and on
>> Board, and on JIRA!
>Yes, agreed. Fewer sources of truth/activity are better!
>Here's some constructive criticism.
>I've been trying to follow development conversations in JIRA and Review
>Board, and I'm finding the mailing list useless for this purpose. I end
>up just using the mailing list, JIRA, and Review Board separately anyway.
>For example: I can easily see what's going on in a Review Board review
>or a JIRA issue because of the handy UI. Here's a review with lots of
>activity: . Looks great there. I can
>pick out the chronology, participants, and see the commented diffs!
>That's a pretty cool tool.
>A notification from review 9408 on the mailing list is much less
>helpful. Here's one of the actions out of context:
> . That email by itself adds little except an
>audit trail. It crowds out (IMHO) more important emails. I wouldn't
>reply directly to it. I really have to go back to Review Board to do
>anything useful with that notification.
>Maybe the problem is just that I'm trying to browse the archives, and
>mod_mbox is not my favorite mailing list archive browser. I'll try email
>filtering before any more whinging.
>If you're still feeling thumbs-down after reading the above, I'll
>probably withdraw my proposal. This may just be me getting used to Mesos
>I also found ... Andrew maybe got put off by
>the notification emails too. Again, might just be an issue for new Mesos

View raw message