From Benjamin Hindman <>
Subject Re: Build system
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:03:39 GMT
Hi Brenden,

For a little history, this would be the second replacement. ;) We started
with organic makefiles before moving to autotools.

I don't think any of us would be opposed to a new build system (but I only
speak for myself), but I'd love to hear *concretely* how the new build
system will ease development and simplify deployment. For example, we
include third party libraries in the source tree precisely to make
development and deployment easier/simpler! This is a common strategy in JVM
based projects (packages which include lots of third party JARs), and until
C/C++ gets the equivalent of a maven, I don't know of an easier/simpler way
to do it.

Moving to a new build system is a pretty substantial undertaking: it both
requires developers to learn the new semantics as well as requires users to
make sure they have the proper prerequisites (i.e., cmake would need to get
installed to build Mesos). So I think it makes sense to have a careful
discussion first.

Clearly some low hanging fruit that would make deployment significantly
easier would be to create/maintain Debian packages and RPMs. It's not clear
to me that we'd need a new build system for this, but I'd be happy to learn