From Matei Zaharia <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mesos 0.9.0-incubating (RC3)
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:15:09 GMT
No, the new scripts and AMIs actually use the "deploy.generic" deployment. They write a shell
script with some environment vars on the machine, and then the scripts on the machine configure
files in the appropriate directories. The new AMI with -a latest uses a make install of Mesos.
Try it out, just run the script with -a latest. The amazon64 stuff there is just for supporting
the old AMI that I still want to support.

On Mar 30, 2012, at 5:00 PM, Charles Reiss wrote:

> On 3/30/12 1:53 PM, Matei Zaharia wrote:
>> The EC2 script has been updated to figure out the ID of the latest
>> AMI from a known location on S3
>> (, so that it's
>> possible to change which AMI they point to. By default they use a
>> fixed older AMI that has been our default for a while, but after the
>> release, users will be able to pass the flag -a latest to use the
>> latest AMI, and we'll make the latest AMI be one with exactly the
>> released code. (There's a bit of a chicken and egg problem on how to
>> do this otherwise). Also, I'd like -a latest to be the default in
>> future releases, once we've seen more people use it and do fine with
>> it. Right now I've kept the old AMI because it has different versions
>> of Hadoop, Mesos, Spark etc and I don't want people using those to be
>> confused.
> I'm concerned that the deploy.amazon64 files appear to require a
> directory layout under /root/mesos that doesn't match what one wouldn't
> trivially get out of the current version of Mesos. I assume your plan is
> to create a new AMI which has appropriate symlinks, etc. to match?
> - Charles
>> Matei
> [snip]
>>> Have the EC2 scripts included with this distribution been tested
>>> with this version of Mesos?
>>> - Charles

View raw message