From Matei Zaharia <>
Subject Re: How hard would it be to upgrade the default protobuf version that Mesos depends on?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 02:52:06 GMT
By the way, I just tried Ben's suggestions to use Protobuf 2.4.1 and it did mostly works (a
few other things I had to change were references to protobuf 2.3.0 in src/python/,
Hadoop, and the test framework launch scripts). Want me to post a patch for this?

On Mar 29, 2012, at 10:16 PM, Matei Zaharia wrote:

> Smaller releases are definitely a good thing, but I brought this up because it's slightly
tough to put in a minor release, since you'll change the version of a library that other people
depend on. If there's no need to stick with protobuf 2.3 for some existing use, then maybe
we should just go to 2.4.
> Matei
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 10:03 PM, Andy Konwinski wrote:
>> I would prefer to hold off and try to get a *much* smaller 2nd release out
>> the door within a month or two after this one.
>> Having a list of features to go into that one (including this feature) is a
>> good thing. I'd go so far as to suggest we start the JIRA for the second
>> release now, and even pick a target release date for it (end of May?)
>> Andy
>> On Mar 29, 2012 6:41 PM, "Matei Zaharia" <> wrote:
>>> Okay, in that case, do you think it's worth doing it for the first
>>> release, or should we leave it till later? I'm okay either way, but later
>>> versions of Spark will need 2.4.1 because stuff like Akka is using it. I
>>> agree we shouldn't delay the release for minor things though.
>>> Matei
>>> the

View raw message