From Matei Zaharia <>
Subject Re: How hard would it be to upgrade the default protobuf version that Mesos depends on?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 02:16:41 GMT
Smaller releases are definitely a good thing, but I brought this up because it's slightly tough
to put in a minor release, since you'll change the version of a library that other people
depend on. If there's no need to stick with protobuf 2.3 for some existing use, then maybe
we should just go to 2.4.

On Mar 29, 2012, at 10:03 PM, Andy Konwinski wrote:

> I would prefer to hold off and try to get a *much* smaller 2nd release out
> the door within a month or two after this one.
> Having a list of features to go into that one (including this feature) is a
> good thing. I'd go so far as to suggest we start the JIRA for the second
> release now, and even pick a target release date for it (end of May?)
> Andy
> On Mar 29, 2012 6:41 PM, "Matei Zaharia" <> wrote:
>> Okay, in that case, do you think it's worth doing it for the first
>> release, or should we leave it till later? I'm okay either way, but later
>> versions of Spark will need 2.4.1 because stuff like Akka is using it. I
>> agree we shouldn't delay the release for minor things though.
>> Matei
>> On Mar 29, 2012, at 9:37 PM, Benjamin Hindman wrote:
>>> Most likely this is very straightforward. Possibly as easy as replacing
>> the
>>> tar.gz in third_party and changing the third_party/ to use
>>> "2.4.1" instead of "2.3.0".

View raw message