From Daniel Wilkerson <>
Subject Re: request for advice on porting Hadoop 1.0.0 to Mesos
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 13:59:20 GMT
Actually, I have to say it seems a bit sub-optimal for Hadoop to
require a 2K+ line patch file just to work with Mesos.  I thought the
point of Mesos was that running another service on top of it would be
straightforward.  For the customer to have to know this much about the
internals of both just to get them to work together can't be a good
end-state.  It just seems that there must be an architectural
mis-match somewhere.

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Daniel Wilkerson
<> wrote:
> We want to run Hadoop inside mesos, but we want to run the latest
> version, Hadoop 1.0.0.  Therefore I was considering porting your
> changes to the new version of Hadoop.  Looking for mesos-related files
> in frameworks/hadoop-0.20.2 I find this.
> find . -iname "*mesos*" | grep -v '\.svn\b'
> ./bin/mesos-executor
> ./bin/mesos-jobtracker-launcher
> ./bin/mesos-jobtracker-runner
> ./hadoop-mesos.patch
> ./src/contrib/mesos
> ./src/contrib/mesos/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/
> ./src/contrib/mesos/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/
> ./src/contrib/mesos/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/
> ./src/contrib/mesos/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/
> ./src/contrib/mesos/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/
> This hadoop-mesos.patch file looks suspiciously useful, however at 2K
> lines, it is not short.  I suppose I could take Hadoop 1.0.0, apply
> the patch, copy over the files, and start it up.  However even if this
> seems to work, who knows what lurks in subtle invariants of which I
> know not.  At least from the Mesos side, do you have any advice?
> Daniel

View raw message