From Ted Dunning <>
Subject Re: Problems with Slave WebUI
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:34:04 GMT
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Matei Zaharia <>wrote:

> > Regarding the identification of a host, the idea that there is a DNS name
> on
> > the far side of the connections that matches anything on the local side
> is
> > just incorrect.   A single machine has to be considered to have multiple
> > interfaces, multiple versions of host name and multiple names that
> resolve
> > to addresses that reach it from other machines.  That these don't match
> up
> > very well is only to be expected.
> This would definitely be ideal, but the problem is that our apps depend on
> a system that makes this assumption (HDFS). Hostnames are how HDFS
> communicates location information to clients such as the JobTracker.
My condolences.

I have found, however, that it is possible to firewall this mistaken
assumption into as small a region as possible.  Outside that region, a
"best" name can be nominated that is most likely to work.  This allows the
benefits of the broader abstraction while maintaining as much
interoperability as possible.  It also means that failures are at least
somewhat isolated.

Avoiding the problem just increases the size of the region of unreliable
reference and increases the likelihood of system failure.