From Ted Dunning <>
Subject Re: Mesos Updates
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 18:55:11 GMT
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Benjamin Hindman

> I've been rather silently over the past few months focusing on Mesos. In
> particular, I have been working at Twitter to help get Mesos deployed and
> used. I'm thrilled to say that Twitter is invested in seeing the project
> succeed internally and in the open source community!

That is great.

> There has been a bunch of progress over the past few months that I'm happy
> to report.

Where has this progress been happening?

> .. There is still lots to be done (which I'll discuss briefly below), but
> that being said I'd love to shoot for our first Apache release date of early
> June. I'm not sure the exact protocol for this

The most important thing for a release is community development.

> There are a few upcoming features that I wanted to hold out on for the
> first release (all of which are being worked on):

Are these in JIRA?

I see 0 issues updated in the last 30 days.

(*) What needs to occur when the time comes to offer some contributors roles
> as committers?

There needs to be more community contact.  The general Apache rule of thumb
is that if it doesn't happen on the mailing list, it didn't happen.

(*) It sounds like Matei has gotten our SVN stuff all setup, so we can bring
> the code in from Github. I'm still a big fan of providing access to the code
> via Github however, I think it's a low barrier of entry to get developers to
> download, read, and play with the code very easily.

Github maintains read-only git mirrors of all apache projects.  Apache also
provides these.  You don't need to do anything.

I'm not sure how other projects do it, but I've been told that some projects
> share a presence on both Github and Apache SVN?

All of the git mirrors are currently read-only.  Apache infra is making
progress on allowing full git access for committers.  In the meantime,
git-svn works pretty well.  I typically put long-lived development branches
on github for sharing and commenting.  I rebase against SVN periodically and
push the rebased stuff to github.  Works well.  Periodically, I pull patches
and post them on JIRA so everybody can play too.  When all is ready, I push
the change via git-svn.

P.S. It appears I'm not on ... I guess I need
> to add myself?

Yes.  And things need to happen on the list.