From lance bowler <lanceb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Filter + ClusterSearcher/QueryParser/make_compiler
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 06:04:35 GMT
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> Finally:  *can* I filter on a field which is not indexed (contains a
>> simple 0 or 1)?
>
> Nope.  Information which is stored but not indexed is not searchable.  Lucy is
> not a traditional database, and it does not provide out-of-the-box support for
> "full table scans" of stored data -- it only knows how to search indexed data.

hmm, that's made me think about possible future issues where a change
is needed mid-stride, so to speak:  is it possible to change one of
those fields from non-indexed to indexed in an existing index where
there may be other instances of the same field with a different
specification?

Would that simply crash the searcher, or does Lucy recognise this and
simply skip over the non-indexed instances?

eg,

Index1
---------------------------
Doc1
field1, indexed
field2, non-indexed

Doc2
field1, indexed
field2, non-indexed
DocN
field1, indexed
field2, non-indexed

Then it's realised that field2 should actually be indexed:

Index1
---------------------------
Doc1
field1, indexed
field2, non-indexed

Doc2
field1, indexed
field2, indexed            <--- change for Doc2
DocN
field1, indexed
field2, non-indexed      <--- but most others unchanged

Would searching stall on this index, or still return results by
ignoring field2 where non-indexed?