From goran kent <gorank...@gmail.com>
Subject [lucy-user] $boost importance in weighting
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 10:07:47 GMT
Hi,

The page at http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/docs/perl/Lucy/Plan/FieldType.html
is a bit sparse on detail about the boost property.

I'd like to get a better understanding of how and by how much it's
value influences score (rank) in search results - what's the formula
used when boost is applied to a document's score?

Finally, what are reasonable values (upper/lower) for boost when, in
my case eg, I'd like to influence the score based on an external value
(page rank), but not have my page rank completely skew the scores -
just enough to promote pages which have an organic page rank value
which should be considered to some degree (a very broad subject, I
know).

My tests so far show that a boost value with a small variance in the
mantissa has an almost zero influence on score/ranking.  My thinking
is to boost with something akin to $boost+=LogN(PR) - ie between 0-10
(log scale).  So this boils down to:  is using a scale of 1-10 a good
idea w.r.t. the Lucy boost property to influence ranking, or 10x that
value?

Any thoughts?

--
Regards,