From goran kent <gorank...@gmail.com>
Subject [lucy-user] Concurrent searching
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:59:30 GMT
Hi,

...at the risk of being swatted down for beating this poor horse again...

I know it's not the done thing for a user (especially an
early-adopter) to ask this of a FOSS project, but I don't suppose it
would be possible to get an indication, even if rough, of when the
concurrent search issue will be addressed?  /me does self-deprecating
bow with hand-flourish  :)

Sadly, for us, to use bugzilla parlance, it's a major blocker.  We
*could* try and hack away with ignorant gusto and slap something
together, but it will be an ugly pulsing tumour, and never work as
well as a Lucy Progenitor could make it work,  if at all.

If these two could be addressed:

-  LucyX::Remote::SearchClient to perform remote searches in parallel
as opposed to serially, and

-  LucyX::Remote::SearchServer to fork on each new client or otherwise
allow multiple search clients at once (ie, typical TCP/IP
client/server behaviour)

...it would allow us to move forward with renewed momentum.  The
proposed ClusterSearcher sounds like the ideal long-term solution, but
just having the existing remote search work as expected would be
├╝ber-fantastic.

Otherwise, we're a little bit buggered.

cheers