From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] [ANNOUNCE] Apache Lucy (incubating) 0.2.0 released
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 20:33:53 GMT

---->8 snip 8<----

> Charmonizer doesn't think this system provides large file support, because it
> hasn't found a combination of commands that make the function S_probe_off64()
> in charmonizer/src/Charmonizer/Probe/LargeFiles.c pass.
>
> This combination generally works for MSVC:
>
>     { "", "fopen", "_ftelli64", "_fseeki64", "__int64" },
>
> However, some web research indicates that _ftelli64 and _fseeki64 were
> introduced later and are not in VS6.  For large file support under VS6, you
> need to use _lseeki64, which operates on file descriptors rather than C89
> FILE* streams.
>
>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa298446%28v=vs.60%29.aspx
>
> This approach is actually feasible for Lucy, since we switched from FILE* to
> file descriptors a long time ago.  It will just take some rejiggering of
> LargeFiles.c so that we don't depend on there being some form of fseek/ftell
> when defining off64_t.

The large-files probing fix now been implemented on trunk:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-178

    Discriminate between stdio and POSIX in large file support probing.

Octavian, if you have the chance to try svn trunk with Visual Studio 6, that
would be helpful.

    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucy/trunk/

Marvin Humphrey