From "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Stable version?
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 20:56:54 GMT
Hi Marvin,

From: "Marvin Humphrey" <marvin@rectangular.com>
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 09:43:18PM +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>> I am researching for finding the best Perl module I can use to create a
>> search engine, and for the moment I stopped at KinoSearch which looks nice
>> (and in adition I was able to install it under Windows very easy using ppm).
>> But I read that that project moved to Apache Lucy.
>
> Use Lucy.
>
> KinoSearch is no longer being developed.  Only old versions of KinoSearch --
> the 0.1x line -- are available via PPM, and they contain code 4-5 years behind
> Lucy.
>
> Apache Lucy (incubating) version 0.2.0, which is likely to be released 3-4
> days from now, addresses numerous portability problems, including several
> affecting Windows.  It has been verified to build and test successfully under
> ActivePerl, Strawberry Perl and Cygwin.

Great! In that case I will try to install it using cpan after the new release.

There are 2 more things I would like to know.
Is Lucy able to index and search for UTF-8 encoded documents? (because if I understood right,
KinoSearch can't do that.)
And, is it possible to run 2 or more separate processes in parallel that index new data in
the same time?

Thanks.

Octavian