From "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Stable version?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 04:42:07 GMT
From: "Marvin Humphrey" <marvin@rectangular.com>
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 11:56:54PM +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>> Is Lucy able to index and search for UTF-8 encoded documents? (because if I
>> understood right, KinoSearch can't do that.)
>
> That problem afflicts KinoSearch 0.1x, but not KinoSearch 0.3x or Lucy.

This is great! I read that KinoSearch 0.3x supports Romanian - the language I need right now,
and I hope Lucy also supports it.

I have tried to install KinoSearch 0.3, but I wasn't able to do it using CPAN because it gave
the error below, so I will definitely need to wait for the new Lucy release:
error building dll file from 'core/KinoSearch/Test.c' at E:/usr/site/lib/ExtUtils/CBuilder/Platform/Windows.pm
line 130, <DATA>
CREAMYG/KinoSearch-0.313.tar.gz

>> And, is it possible to run 2 or more separate processes in parallel that
>> index new data in the same time?
>
> There is a single write lock, which is held from Indexer->new through
> Indexer->commit.  Multiple processes attempting to write to the same index
> will likely experience lock contention.
>
> There are multiple strategies for managing this limitation, such as queuing
> or utilizing Lucy::Index::BackgroundMerger, but the limitation remains.

Well, I made a test and I indexed more than 100.000 documents in less than 10 minutes using
KinoSearch 0.1 so it works very fast for indexing too (for my needs).
In conclusion, it is not a big problem that a single process can do the index.

Octavian