From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Mostly re: the SWIG part (was Re: [lucy-user] Question about query parsing API
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 03:07:15 GMT
Andrew S. Townley wrote on 2/26/11 7:26 AM:

> I get what you're saying, but here's the rub for me:  I'm not really a
> developer anymore--I just play one on TV. ;)  At the moment, I'm wearing
> about 10 different hats, and I'm trying to stabilize my own platform so I can
> divest myself of as many development responsibilities as possible.  If I
> don't, I won't be able to do a lot of the other work that I need to be
> doing.
>
> I'm confident that I *could* do the Ruby bindings, I'm just not sure that
> taking on yet another development task is very smart right now.  Puts me in a
> rather unpleasant dilemma, actually, because I want to help, and I suspect
> that I'm going to hit more issues with Ferret as I go along since it doesn't
> seem to be designed exactly for how I want/need to use it.  Unfortunately, I
> can't make any more promises at the moment. :(

Completely fair and I appreciate your self-knowledge on this score.

Please do continue to lurk, at least, and consider reviewing the Ruby binding
RFCs when they emerge. One of our primary goals is idiomatically consistent APIs
for each host language, and it helps immensely to have "native speakers"
reviewing the idioms. :)

pek