From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Feature question about Lucy vs. Ferret
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:49:07 GMT
Hi Andrew,

Andrew S. Townley wrote on 02/23/2011 09:51 AM:

> 1) Can lucy store multi-field "documents" a la Ferret?

Yes.

> 2) Can lucy give me the match result information I'm looking for within each document
as part of the search hit information?

For highlighting and snippet extraction? yes.

> 3) How would you relate the completeness/stability of the core C library and Ruby bindings?

Alas, here's the rub. There are no Ruby bindings at present. The core C
code is stable and "complete" (for some value of "complete" -- i.e. it
works). But to date there are only Perl bindings.

I posted about this on the Ferret list awhile back, inviting Ruby
developers to come have a look and help jump-start the Ruby
implemenation. I realize your project has some immediate needs; please
also consider hanging around and helping us define the Ruby
implementation. Subscribe to lucy-dev to get started.