From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] Feature question about Lucy vs. Ferret
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:42:19 GMT
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 05:14:49PM +0000, Andrew S. Townley wrote:

> In digging around Google in the interim between now and my original note, I
> re-read the charter for Lucy.  One of the things that struck me was the
> "implementing as much functionality in high-level languages as possible"
> comment.  What does this mean, exactly?

That's the 2006 Lucene sub-project proposal at
<http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LucyProposal/>.  Lucy was rebooted last
July, entering the Incubator with a new proposal at
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/LucyProposal>, absorbing the KinoSearch
codebase, and aiming to become a top-level Apache project.

We should probably go tag that outdated 2006 page with a note indicating that
it's obsolete.

Our approach has changed over the years.  Now nearly all core code is in C.

Marvin Humphrey