From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-user] How do I build Lucy? Are there code examples/test on how to use Lucy?
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:30:02 GMT
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 07:25:15PM -0800, Richard Catlin wrote:
> How do I build Lucy?

  svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucy/trunk lucy
  cd lucy/perl
  perl Build.PL
  ./Build test

(There are some CPAN prerequisites, which Build.PL will tell you about.)

> Are there code examples/test on how to use Lucy?

There's a full tutorial, starting at trunk/perl/lib/Lucy/Docs/Tutorial.pod.

> I have used Lucene 3.03 extensively.  How does Lucy compare?  What does
> "loose C" mean on your home page?

It's a similar library, but the APIs and file formats are not compatible and
the implementations are pretty different.  The "Loose" part means we won't be
bound by fidelity promises a la CLucene and Lucene.NET.  The "C" part should
be self-explanatory.

Marvin Humphrey