From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Rethinking header file installation
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:30:11 GMT
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Nick Wellnhofer <wellnhofer@aevum.de> wrote:
> I had a quick look, and it's actually Module::Install that handles that. See
> here:
>
> https://metacpan.org/source/YVES/ExtUtils-Install-1.54/lib/ExtUtils/Install.pm#L721

I'm a little confused because the passage above mentions "Module::Install" but
then links to "ExtUtils::Install".

> So the .cfh files should go to blib/lib and charmony.h to blib/arch.

Hmm, is divvying them up actually possible?  I just ran "./Build fakeinstall"
and everything got installed into installarchdir:

[...]
Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Lucy/Lucy.bs
Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Lucy/Lucy.bundle
Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Lucy.pm
Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Lucy.pod
[...]

But even if it's possible, is it desirable?  It doubles the number of dirs to
look in, but without the "feature" that Perl gets of being able to share
non-architecture-specific modules across different Perl installations.  (I'm
not enamored of that "feature", to be honest.)

Although it would be consistent of us to follow Perl's example, are
there any practical advantages to be had in dividing up arch/non-arch headers?
There might be harm in putting an arch-specific file in a non-arch-specific
dir, but I don't think there's harm the other way around -- we're just saying
"don't share these files across different Perl installs".

Marvin Humphrey