From Nick Wellnhofer <wellnho...@aevum.de>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Rethinking header file installation
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:16:13 GMT
On 23/03/2012 22:30, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Nick Wellnhofer<wellnhofer@aevum.de>  wrote:
>> I had a quick look, and it's actually Module::Install that handles that. See
>> here:
>>
>> https://metacpan.org/source/YVES/ExtUtils-Install-1.54/lib/ExtUtils/Install.pm#L721
>
> I'm a little confused because the passage above mentions "Module::Install" but
> then links to "ExtUtils::Install".

Sorry, I meant "ExtUtils::Install".

>> So the .cfh files should go to blib/lib and charmony.h to blib/arch.
>
> Hmm, is divvying them up actually possible?  I just ran "./Build fakeinstall"
> and everything got installed into installarchdir:
>
> [...]
> Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Lucy/Lucy.bs
> Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Lucy/Lucy.bundle
> Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Lucy.pm
> Installing /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Lucy.pod
> [...]

No, it's not possible and I didn't propose that. You misunderstood me.

> But even if it's possible, is it desirable?  It doubles the number of dirs to
> look in, but without the "feature" that Perl gets of being able to share
> non-architecture-specific modules across different Perl installations.  (I'm
> not enamored of that "feature", to be honest.)

I don't want to install files in different directories. I only proposed
to put some files into blib/lib and some into blib/arch where blib is
the staging area in the build directory. We already have all the .pm
files in blib/lib, for example. But it doesn't matter. They'll end up in
the arch directory anyway.

Nick