From "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Empty out perl/MANIFEST
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 06:17:50 GMT
On Mar 3, 2012, at 4:38 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> Solution: clear out perl/MANIFEST so that it consists of only explanatory
> comments and stop maintaining it.

For my modules, I simply don’t keep generated files in source control. As you say, it’s
pointless.

> Module::Build still complains about extra files when it you run either
> `./Build distcheck` or `./Build distclean` (which runs distcheck), but that
> matters less.  For a long time now I've been running `./Build realclean`
> instead of distclean so I don't have to see the complaints; we can put a
> suggestion to that effect into the comments in our fake MANIFEST file.

`distclean` runs `distcheck`? WHU?

I have used `realclean` for, oh, probably a decade now. Definitely better. I also have this
Git alias to get rid of all superfluous files:

[alias]
    cl = clean -dfx

So `git cl` does its thing. Must be some way to do that in SVN, too. I noticed a lot of generated
files there were obviously not svn:ignored.

Best,

David