From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Empty out perl/MANIFEST
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:34:47 GMT
On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:17:50PM -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2012, at 4:38 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>
> > Solution: clear out perl/MANIFEST so that it consists of only explanatory
> > comments and stop maintaining it.
>
> For my modules, I simply don’t keep generated files in source control. As
> you say, it’s pointless.

Our canonical release tarballs are pure exports from version control.  If we
remove perl/MANIFEST entirely, then anyone who gets Lucy via either a checkout
or a canonical release will get a warning when they run Build.PL.

Keeping a dummy file around is a compromise to avoid that problem.

> `distclean` runs `distcheck`? WHU?

    http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Module::Build#distclean

    distclean

        [version 0.05]

        Performs the 'realclean' action and then the 'distcheck' action.

> I have used `realclean` for, oh, probably a decade now. Definitely better. I
> also have this Git alias to get rid of all superfluous files:
>
> [alias]
>     cl = clean -dfx
>
> So `git cl` does its thing.  Must be some way to do that in SVN, too.

I don't believe that there is an analogue for git clean -dxf in svn.  If
somebody knows of one, please speak up because I could really use it!  (This
is for a different project.)

> I noticed a lot of generated files there were obviously not svn:ignored.

To be honest, I've never been good about keeping svn:ignore properties up to
date.  It's not part of my workflow.

Marvin Humphrey