From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Failed: PAUSE indexer report KARMAN/Lucy-0.3.0.tar.gz
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:08:54 GMT
On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 01:23:22PM -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> > I can probably give it a little time this weekend.
>
> Okay, either SVN is down or I just don’t remember my password.

Maybe this helps:

    http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#svn-authorization-failure

    The password used for subversion is the same as the password you use for
    access to people.apache.org. You will not be prompted to enter it
    frequently.  This makes it is easy to forget.

    If you do forget your password please visit https://id.apache.org/ to
    reset it.

> So I committed these changes to a branch in my GitHub fork for now:
>
>   https://github.com/theory/lucy/commits/versions
>
> I think this will cover it.

Looks great!  I have only a couple minor observations.  +1 to commit as is and
deal with the quirks later.

FWIW, the .pm files under perl/buildlib/ and perl/sample/ touched by this
commit do not get installed:

   https://github.com/theory/lucy/commit/0496165440af6a528f443bb7cd0f31400cc330ab

It doesn't do any harm to add version numbers to them; in the case of the
sample documents, I can actually see the advantage in doing so, as a user who
starts from one of those files as a point of departure will be able to go back
and see where they started from.  The stuff in buildlib/ doesn't need version
numbers, but I suppose it makes your patch to devel/bin/update_version a
little simpler if you can just point it at "every .pm file under perl/".

The other thing is that META.json and META.yml got added to perl/MANIFEST, but
not committed.

    https://github.com/theory/lucy/commit/1f70f05a24ec36aaec79c035ebc3008dccd25941

I'm happy they weren't committed, so I hope that wasn't an oversight. :)  But
it would be nice if they weren't in MANIFEST, either, so that we don't get a
warning that they're missing when somebody runs `perl Build.PL`.  (See the
other post I just sent about removing *everything* from MANIFEST.)

> Oddly though, `./Build dist` and `./Build distmeta` are acting funky, but
> seemed to work fine when messed with them in the SVN checkout. Maybe it has
> something to do with the Git checkout?

I made a clone of your Github "versions" branch and was able to perform both
actions without problems.

The only thing that's weird is that ACTION_dist currently unlinks META.yml but
not META.json.  (Naturally, my preference would be to have META.json get
zapped as well.  The rationale for deleting them is the same as with MANIFEST;
it's a PITA to keep them up to date because we add and delete files so often
as part of our workflow.)

I would suggest performing a `./Build realclean` if you're having problems.

Note that `./Build dist` is fragile; it is only really meant to be performed
on an expanded official Lucy release tarball, though it will also work on a
clean checkout.  Because `./Build dist` has to create MANIFEST on the fly, if
you have any extra files lying around, they will get added to the release!

PS: Thanks for the idea of using backticks to quote commands in an email!

Marvin Humphrey