From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Re: Failed: PAUSE indexer report KARMAN/Lucy-0.3.0.tar.gz
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 02:21:24 GMT
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 01:03:53PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> On 2/15/12 11:17 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Some might find it a bit annoying, but it’s probably the safest way
>> to manage Perl module versions. The second way to do it is lazier:
>> Just put this line in every Perl module in a distribution:
>>
>> require Lucy; our $VERSION = eval $Lucy::VERSION;
>>
>> And yes, it has to be on one line so that Module::Build will parse
>> out the one line and eval it. I think this would be safe, though I
>> don’t know if you want to load Lucy.pm in every file.
>>

> +1 to that idea. Lucy is mostly XS with pro forma .pm files so 'use
> Lucy' is implicit in every Lucy::* class already.

It turns out that this technique has significant drawbacks.

The main problem is that it's not safe to "require Lucy" or "use Lucy" before
the XS extension is built, so the routine in Module::Build::ModuleInfo which
extracts version numbers can't be run on Lucy before the build finishes.  That
was the root cause of this buildbot failure:

  http://ci.apache.org/builders/lucy-trunk-fbsd/builds/178

With this commit, I was able to made the immediate problem go away for some
systems, e.g. the FreeBSD buildbot running Perl 5.12.4 and my local copy of
Perl 5.10...

... but other systems are still broken, e.g. my local copy of Perl 5.14.1.

It is hard to guarantee that that ModuleInfo code will not be run too soon, as
it seems that Module::Build assumes it will always be safe.

Therefore, I think that if we are going to specify per-Perl-package version
numbers, we have to go with explicit numbers.  (My personal preference is to
just require Module::Build 0.38 or above during "./Build dist", though.)

Marvin Humphrey