From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Graduation checklist
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:43:10 GMT
On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 09:22:48AM -0800, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>   - we all agree on who the VP is -- who would like to be the VP? Marvin; or
>   you? Would you guys like to hold a separate VOTE for that, or can you two
>   come to consensus between the 2 of you on list? I personally would support
>   either candidate.

I'm happy to do it, but personally, I'm my fourth choice.

  1. Peter Karman
  2. Logan Bell
  3. Nick Wellnhofer
  4. Marvin Humphrey

"VP, Apache Lucy" makes for a nice line in your resume (which is appropriate,
since it reflects the acclamation of your peers).  However, the ongoing
responsibilites are not that great under ordinary circumstances.

Theoretically, the PMC chair, as a foundation VP, has the power to do stuff
like add or remove people from the PMC at will.  But it would be extraordinary
for a PMC chair to act unilaterally like that, reflecting deep problems in the
project and likely looming attention from the Board.  A healthy PMC governs by
consensus and thus the PMC chair's is mostly a light administrative task.

In practice, the PMC chair role means:

    * File quarterly board reports.
    * Subscribe to board@a.o
    * Subscribe to infrastructure@a.o.
    * Relay administrative messages to the board, such as the addition of a
      new PMC member (which a Board member needs to ACK).
    * Possibly step up to meet a challenge when nobody else will.

See here for more detail...

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#new-project-hand-over

... but don't think that it's really on the VP alone to handle the creation of
all TLP infrastructure.

As far as I'm concerned if Peter wants the job he has my full support.
However, Peter is pretty time-constrained right now with three very young
children.  Peter is a valuable resource, and I'd rather have us deploy him
carefully.

Logan is relatively new to the project, but has shown an interest in tasks
which fit the role of the VP -- e.g. even in this thread, he wanted to help
with the charter.  He's already interacted with infra, dealing with the
buildbots.  That message on voting I posted a few days ago was largely a
rehash of an IRC conversation that he and I had.  I think that with a little
support (which I am happy to provide), Logan would do a good job, and would
possibly enjoy learning about the ASF in the way that I have during
incubation.

Nick suddenly ramped up his contributions late last fall, but has actually
been around the project for several years.  He's proven to be a very quick
study with the code base, bootstrapping himself with minimal guidance.  I
expect he could also acquit himself well in the VP role, given some initial
assistance.  I have no idea if he's interested, though.

Lastly, I can do the job, but since it's in the best interest of the community
to continue diversifying responsibility, I would prefer to defer.  I also
understand if our Mentors recommend that someone more experienced such as
myself serve during the first year.

In any case, I would like to see us vote for the chair each year.  IMO it's
fine if somebody serves year after year, but it shouldn't be automatic.

Marvin Humphrey