From Nick Wellnhofer <wellnho...@aevum.de>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Improving the ClusterSearcher
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 21:15:01 GMT
On 27/12/11 21:33, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Ah, I see that you have a process_request() method in the LUCY-205 patch
> already -- and though it does not take a socket-handle/fileno as an argument,
> it can be modified easily to do so.

That's an implementaion detail of Net::Server. To use Net::Server, you
simply subclass it and implement a process_request method.

> I think that means that we cannot simply delete SearchServer#serve -- though
> we can improve on things by making it possible to override serve() or
> otherwise avoid it.

IMO subclassing SearchServer as it is now wouldn't be the best solution
if it's possible at all. First, we can't use the SearchServer
constructor because we don't want the sockets to be created there. Then,
AFAIU classes derived from Lucy::Object::Obj must be inside-out. Is it
safe to subclass additional Perl classes like Net::Server that use their
own hashref attributes in the traditional way?

Another solution would be to simply duplicate the SearchServer request
handling code in an external module. That's not very elegant but maybe
it's the easiest way to go, at least for now.

Nick