From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Improving the ClusterSearcher
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:33:28 GMT
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 04:50:26PM +0100, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:
>> How about we expose a handle_request() method on SearchServer which takes a
>> socket handle as an argument, reads the incoming request and sends a response
>> back?
>>
>>    =head2 handle_request
>>
>>       $search_server->handle_request($sock);
>>
>>    Process a request from a socket handle which is ready for reading.
>
> That's what I had in mind.

Ah, I see that you have a process_request() method in the LUCY-205 patch
already -- and though it does not take a socket-handle/fileno as an argument,
it can be modified easily to do so.

If we make that method public and have it accept a socket-handle/fileno, then
it becomes possible to implement any number of server configurations.

> But if we want to use Net::Server, we can't use SearchServer's constructor
> in its current form.

Well, it's my understanding that it would violate Apache legal policy if we
were to distribute a subclass of Net::Server as part of Apache Lucy.

So, instead, let's do something even better!  Let's give our users the freedom
to use not only Net::Server::PreFork, but lots of other options.

> So I would split SearchServer into two classes.

If you or somebody else wants to publish a CPAN distro that provides
SearchServer capabilities in conjunction with Net::Server::PreFork, that's
cool.  You get to make your own call on licensing that way.

We just have to make sure that we are in compliance with this guideline:

    http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional

    Optional means that the component is not required for standard use of the
    product or for the product to achieve a desirable level of quality. The
    question to ask yourself in this situation is:

        "Will the majority of users want to use my product without adding the
        optional components?

I think that means that we cannot simply delete SearchServer#serve -- though
we can improve on things by making it possible to override serve() or
otherwise avoid it.

Marvin Humphrey