From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Improving the ClusterSearcher
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:52:36 GMT
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 01:24:07AM +0100, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:

> Henry C. nudged me to have a look at the ClusterSearcher and here are
> two quick improvements that I came up with:
>
> Process ClusterSearcher RPCs in parallel
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-204

+1, great stuff!  I've left some feedback in the JIRA comments, but it's all
minor implementation tweaks, so no need to discuss at length here.

> Parallel processing for SearchServer
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-205
>
> The latter makes use of the excellent perl module Net::Server.

Hmm, this is a little harder.

Technically, I'm +0.5 in favor of this change.  Maybe I would have liked to
see things done a little differently, and without the dependency -- but it's a
sorely needed step forward.

Unfortunately, legally I think we have to hold off on applying this patch, for
licensing reasons.  Here's the licensing block from Net::Server:

    This package may be distributed under the terms of either the

      GNU General Public License
        or the
      Perl Artistic License

Apache products cannot have mandatory dependencies on GPL'd components, so we
cannot use Net::Server under the terms of the GPL.  Usage under the terms of
the Artistic license has not been approved by Apache Legal.  See the following:

  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html for a list of approved licenses.

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-86 for an attempt to get
  Artistic-1 added to the list of approved licenses, which resulted in a
  temporary variance.

Can we somehow make SearchServer pluggable or subclassable so that the user
can supply routines for forking/preforking/etc?

Marvin Humphrey