From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2011 13:47:54 GMT
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 11:24:19PM -0800, Logan Bell wrote:
> I would be interested in setting up and requesting an automated
> testing/build service for the Lucy project.

Big +1.  :)

I'd like to suggest that the notifications be sent to the lucy-issues list.

Some projects have a dedicated list, e.g. notifications@subversion.a.o, but
that seems like overkill.  And I'd really be sad if we forced them on all dev
list subcribers, a la dev@lucene.a.o.  The same people who need to see issue
tracker notifications -- committers -- are the ones who need to see the
buildbot notifications, and of course anyone else who wants to can subscribe
voluntarily.

> As of right now I don't believe we have any automated tests/builds across
> multiple platforms

We don't have any automated testing at all right now.  I'd be psyched with
just a generic Linux or FreeBSD install running tests for the Perl build on
the mainline for starters.

Our mainline has no CPAN dependencies any more, so setting this up is easier
than it would have been a few months ago.

> If everyone agrees this is of value, I'll be willing to spearhead this
> effort.

+1

Marvin Humphrey