From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] RFC: Grant all ASF Committers Lucy SVN karma
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 21:22:10 GMT
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 12:03:07PM -0800, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : I'd like to propose that the Lucy podling consider nuking our Subversion authz
> : entry, allowing anyone who is a Committer at the ASF to commit to the Lucy
> : corner of the ASF repository.
> : Of course we would still have a soft rule in place that significant changes
> : must be run through lucy-dev first, but we would trust other committers to
> : follow this rule rather than enforce it through access control as we do today.
>
> My suggestion would be that since this isn't something many apache
> projects do (yet) this "soft rule" should probably be written down in the
> form of loose guidelines somewhere ... wiki, wwwsite, COMMITTERS.txt,
> whatever.

IMO, the perfect place for this is the new CONTRIBUTING document which I
committed yesterday, which sits next to README at the top level of our source
tree -- it's better to have this rule communicated by something which travels
with the code rather than hope that people find it out on a wiki somewhere.

Here's how CONTRIBUTING starts off:

    ===========================
    Contributing to Apache Lucy
    ==========================

    MAKE A PLAN:

      If you're looking for something to work on, see the STATUS file for a
      list of development priorities that the Lucy community has already built
      consensus around.

      If you propose to make non-trivial changes to Lucy, especially changes
      to the public API, send a note to the Lucy developer's list describing
      your plans:

        http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/mailing_lists.html

    GET THE CODE:

I think that second paragraph suffices.  We don't have to spell out negative
consequences or draft finely graded rules.

Marvin Humphrey