From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] C implementation [was Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved]
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 02:42:33 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 10/28/11 1:09 AM:

> Second task: probably build and run Charmonizer.  Basically port
> trunk/ruby/Rakefile to the build language of your choice, which was GNU Make
> if I recall correctly.  (The same content is in the Perl build, but alongside
> a lot of other stuff, which is why I suggest working off the Ruby build.)
>
> It may be hard/awkward/impossible to do everything we need with Make.  We
> still have to run the Clownfish compiler from Perl right now, so when we get
> to that, we'll need a Perl script that we can run from Make.

Is there anything to be gained by using autoconf and friends?

Or asked another way, why would we *not* want to use autoconf and friends?

I realize that it duplicates a lot of what charmonizer does. OTOH, automake can
generate a fully-featured Makefile like Module::Build does for Perl (I know M::B
doesn't create a file called 'Makefile' but the concept is the same).