From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Argument processing model
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:31:49 GMT
On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:01:59PM -0800, webmasters@ctosonline.org wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2011, at 8:57 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>
> > Implementing a C API will be conceptually more complicated, because we will
> > have to make some decisions and leave some features out.  We can't support
> > default values from C, for example.
>
> Perl’s gv_fullname function became gv_fullname3 and then gv_fullname4 when
> more params were added.  You could conceivably do the same for default
> parameters, but it might lead to API explosion, which, come to think of it,
> renders this a very bad idea.

;)

The C API will just have to be less sophisticated because C itself is less
sophisticated.  No labeled params for C, either. :)

Lucy C API users will have to enter default argument values manually.  But we
can protect them somewhat with a policy of considering the changing of a
default value a backwards compatibility break.

Lucy is primarily targeted at high level dynamic languages.  It is not
optimized for C developers.

Marvin Humphrey