From Chris Hostetter <hossman_l...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Graduation (was Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved)
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 21:57:17 GMT

: You are pushing for it - and I don't get why.

Mattman is being the voice of progress, encouranging the project to think
about it's future, and about moving forward and leaving the nest.

Mattman is like Lucy's mom: "Now that you've finished high school, you
should think about getting a part time job, so you can move into your own
apartment while you go to college at night, so you can save up money to
start a family when you meet a nice guy to settle down with."

This type of encouragement is good -- it's healthy to remind the project
that it shouldn't hide out in the basement as a podling forever.

we're all entitled to our opinions about the status of the project --
you're certainly free to play the part of the Uncle who thinks Lucy hasn't
made enough of herself yet and needs to date more before she's ready to
move out into the big city on her own -- but ultimately it's up to the
community (the whole community) to decide when it is "ready" to vote
for it's own graduation, and it's up to the IPMC to vote to approve that
graduation and propose it to the board as a resolution, and it's up to the
board to accept that proposal and create a new PMC.

Everyone is free to voice their opinions during these discussions, and
cast their votes however they see fit -- but ultimatley if you care enough
about Lucy to subscribe to these mailing lists, and participate in this
discussions, then it seems like there probably a lot more productive ways
to contribute then getting into a pissing match over wether Lucy is ready
for graduation.

if you think there aren't enough contributors, then contribute.  if you
think there aren't enough committers, then nominate someone.  if you think
the overall activity level is too low to be self sustaining, then
encourage more people to get involved. etc....

(For the record: I consider myself Lucy's slightly senile grandfather.  a
dirty old man with a weak hip who doesn't spend much time with Lucy on a
regular basis, and frequently spouts non-sense, but occaionally spouts
inspiring wisdon in between attempts to get Lucy to "pull my finger".)

-Hoss