From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Graduation (was Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved)
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:18:47 GMT
>> Commit mails on markmail.org still show mostly "just" Marvin.
>> Or what am I missing?
>
> Commits aren't the only sign of community. They also aren't the only
> sustaining thing you need. You need:
>
> * VOTEs
> * discussion emails
> * JIRA threads
> * release managers
> * documentation writers, etc.

These things you need on top, indeed :)

> I've seen Peter, David, Nathan, Joe (S.) and a host of other folks
> contribute.

That's all and great but this falls down as soon as Marvin (for
whatever reason) would be gone.

Graduation is also about build a sustainable community - not a single
person doing the coding.
And frankly speaking I am lurking on the dev list and didn't see that
many discussion emails.

As much as I would love to see lucy graduate I still think it's not ready.

> And committers != PMC != community.

nitpicking: whether committers != PMC depends on the project, it's the
same for some projects

> The VOTE is to decide on whether or not Lucy has:
>
> * elected new (P)PMC members
> * shown that it can govern itself
> * made releases
> * vetted its licenses
> * operated in the Apache way
>
> I'd say it has.

Well, and I am saying this is not a diverse community - which also one
of the goals of incubation. A single person committing on a TLP is not
quite the Apache way I know.

Frankly - I don't understand the rush.

cheers,
Torsten